Tuesday, July 17, 2012

lovely leaves.

Being a camp counselor this summer at a non arts camps has resurfaced the truth about my skills when it comes to sports. I can't play them. Any of them. I'm the counselor that gets help from a ten year old when it comes to learning my forehand in tennis. 

I'll tell you what I am good at, though: friendship bracelets. I have no problem frolicking around the campgrounds sporting my handiwork.

"Danie, how did you make that?!"
"Knots, children. Knots." 

That's right, I'll let them think I'm a master at something for as long as I can. Then when they're ten,  they'll learn how to build a computer and I won't be cool anymore.

So here's a new pattern for you. It's easier than you think it is. If you've got your basic forward and backward knots down, you're golden.



1. You're going to need five colors. Cut them to length and fold them in half, tying a knot at the top. Arrange them in a 54321 12345 pattern.

 2. Starting with string 2 (blue on mine) on the left, make one forward knot (two hitches). Make one backward knot with string 2 on the right. Join the two with one forward knot in the middle.


3. Make two forward knots with string 3 (grey) on the left and two backward with string 3 on the right. Join with one forward knot.


4. With string 4 (green) on the left make three forward knots and three backward with string 4 on the right. Join in the middle.


5. Now using string 5 on the left (orange), make four forward knots and four backward using string 5 on the right. Join in the middle.


That's one leaf done! Now, just repeat using the new string 2. In my case, I would start with green. Repeat the pattern until the bracelet reaches your desired length.


23 comments:

  1. I love friendship bracelets! And that's the first time I've seen that pattern....looks great!

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow that's amazingly simple and looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never seen this leaf pattern before either, and I'm really looking forward to trying it! Thanks for posting this. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well best of luck to you! i'm sure your project will go swimmingly.

      Delete
  4. How long should the strings be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i would say at least three feet long. happy crafting!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. It's basically just a chevron in a different order!! It's very simple, but it looks great.

      Delete
  6. what is a forward and backward knot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too didn't know, so a did a search on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHChvDYtRvk
      hope that helps

      Delete
  7. thank you very much for the tutorial, i will probably try it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!i really love this so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! it looks really messed up on the first one, but ends up looking fab at the end! Thx!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great - are you able to tell me how wide the finished bracelet is using the ten strands? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its about 2.5 cm wide (: im doing a 10cm one now!

      Delete
  10. Super helpful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would like to use this in my company.

    If you want to stand out in your friend group, you can opt for Custom Rubber Bracelets.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome trend looking good with different patterns with unique designs.Thank u for sharing this post.In my opinion A bracelet is a loop of material, such as a strap or chain, that is intended to be worn around the wrist or forearm, without being attached to clothing.We buy gold

    ReplyDelete
  13. This bracelet DIY making is quite beautiful. But seems the operation is difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome post..! Thanks for sharing this post. I am very interested in this topic.friendship braceletFriendship bracelets will vary from casual or capricious to elegant and complex. the choice appears to be endless!It may be that it is time to shower your friend or sweetheart with the gift of a bracelet that signifies your feeling for them.Carol D. writes articles and merchandise reviews on topics starting from relationship bracelets to hearth screens to clogs.

    ReplyDelete